ST. MARX CEMETERY: MOZART ‘S GRAVE
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart died in 1791 and was buried in a pauper’s grave in the St.Marx Communal Cemetery. For many years the location of Mozart’s remains was unknown until 1855 when it is believed the grave was discovered. In 1859 Hanns Gasserbuilt a monument there. This was later transferred to the group of honorary graves for musicians at Vienna’s Central Cemetery. The empty space was adorned with a stone slab with Mozart’s name and the years of his birth and death.
Later a “Mourning Genius”, a new stone tablet and a column were added. The sculptor Florian Josephu-Drouot is responsible for the present appearance of Mozart’s grave as he restored it in 1950. The graves of Mozart’s family are spread over the whole of Europe. His father and widow can be found in Salzburg, his mother in Paris, his son Wolfgang in Karlsbad, and son Karl Thomas in Milan.
TEXT: Courtesy of www.wien.gv.at
You must be logged in to post a comment.