JUNIOR HONOR SOCIETY
The Junior Mensa Honor Society (JMHS) is open to Young Mensans in grades 5–9. The ideals of the Mensa Honor Society are integrity, intellectual curiosity, academic commitment and service.
In keeping with the purposes of Mensa, the objectives of the Mensa Honor Society are to:
- Recognize the achievements of Young Mensans who take active roles in their communities, schools or faith-based organizations.
- Provide recognition for Young Mensans for service that develops their talents and skills for the benefit of others.
- Allow these achievements to be formally recognized by Mensa, schools and other institutions.
Qualifications for Membership
In addition to being current members of Mensa, the criteria for membership in the Junior Mensa Honor Society are:
- Service: Members must perform a minimum of 25 hours of service to school or community during the calendar year prior to admission and an additional 25 hours of service per calendar year to remain members in good standing. The service must be done without compensation.
- Participation: Members must participate in at least one activity outside of school attendance. This could include such programs as scouting, music, athletics or art. These activities may or may not be on a school campus.
- Scholarship: Members must remain in academic good standing with their schools or make adequate progress home-schooling. Candidates must submit a school transcript showing a grade point average of 3.8 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Character: Applicants must submit at least one letter of recommendation from a school teacher/administrator, ecclesiastical leader or community representative who can attest that the applicant represents the ideals of the society (integrity, intellectual curiosity, academic commitment and a concern for others).
- Letter of Intent: Applicants must submit, in their own handwriting, a letter of intent explaining why they desire to join the Junior Mensa Honor Society.
TEXT: Courtesy of http://www.us.mensa.org